this is surprisingly easy and you can mix it up with different herbs, cheeses, meats…(sausage? pesto? balsamic? etc…)
prosciutto, basil, and cheese stuffed chicken
prep time: 15 min | total time: 30 min | serves: 4
what you need:
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 oz cheese (you pick)
- 2 oz light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
- rinse and pat chicken breasts dry. if you have a mallet or rolling pin you can pound it flat, or you can butterfly them with an inch on each side to stuff. sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- mix cheeses, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne together.
- lay prosciutto flat and fill each breast with mixture. roll em up nice & tight – use toothpicks or twine to cinch each closed – or if you don’t have that (i did not this time), just wrap tightly and cook with seam down first.
- heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. you can add some garlic in here too with the chicken breasts.
- brown all sides of chicken, turn the heat down a bit, add water, and cover and cook for 5 minutes. flip, and cook for 10-15 minutes on the other side until fully cooked.
- let rest for five minutes, and add some cheese on top to let it melt before you eat!
- i serve these with prosciutto-wrapped asparagus (leftover prosciutto!) and salad with mama le’s dressing.